Friday, December 11, 2009

Flower Fact Friday - Poinsettia

Can you believe it's Friday again already? Throughout the week, I've thought - Oh, it's only Tuesday (Wednesday, etc.), I have plenty of time to figure out what I'm going to write about on Friday. But then today came and is passing quickly, and I just realized (at almost 6:15 PM) that I still haven't posted my fact for this week. I also had plans of trying to evolve my Friday posts to not be solely focused around a specific flower, but in maintaining flowers, complimenting colors/flowers etc. Well, I can't think of a specific way that I want to do that, as I want to keep with the season we're in. And though it's technically Fall/Autumn, it feels more like winter here and I've began automatically associating December (as a whole) as being winter.

Also, as an FYI - Keep an eye out for the Friday posts to be on different days in the upcoming weeks... :) But everything will be back to normal after the beginning of the year.

Now on to the Friday Flower Fact.....



Poinsettias are most commonly known as a small potted flower, that blossoms in December. These small plants are actually trees that can reach heights of 12+ feet, with large leaves, measuring up to 8 inches across. Poinsettias are often thought to be poisonous, but in 1971, this was proven false. It is not recommended that you this plant though, as you may have stomach irritation. Children and pets can also choke on this plant, if consumed, so always keep out of their reach.





Here's something really interesting, that I just happened to stumble upon... Tomorrow, December 12 is National Poinsettia Day in the United States. I don't think I could have planned this flower fact for a better day! This day was chosen, because Dr. Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first to introduce the flower the United States died on December 12, 1851.




So now, I say we all celebrate the holiday, National Poinsettia Day by purchasing something containing this beautiful plant. Don't forget that I have Poinsettia items in my etsy shop, artfire shop and my website - *wink, wink*

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work, as always, and I love the unknow facts!!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete