Friday, February 5, 2010

Flauxer Fact Friday - February Birth Flower

Another month has gone by and it's time to discuss the Birth Flower for February. Being born in February myself, I was really interested to find out that there are two February Birth Flowers - the Primrose and the Violet. This is especially close to my heart as the first flower I remember having of my own, given to to me by my Grandmother was a violet. I was so proud to have it and did a wonderful job at keeping it blossoming and beautiful. Knowing now that it had more meaning, even if she hadn't realized it, than her teaching me about flowers, makes me indescribably happy.

The primrose is the earliest of Spring flowers to bloom, much like a preview of the warm weather and beautiful colors/flowers to come in the next few months. They are low-lying plants that often grow in forests. The ideal soil conditions are moist, slightly dry, and they don't 'like' clay based soils. The main color of Primroses is a pale yellow, with a darker center. These gorgeous signs of warmer weather are also great tasting. The leaves of this plan are sometimes used in teas and the flowers as a salad garnish.

Violets come in a wide variety of colors, including white, yellow and deep purple. These beautiful blossoms were thought by the Ancient Greeks to symbolize love and fertility, and were often used to create Love Potions. Violets bloom in the spring and fall, and make great house plants. If growing Violets, be sure to keep them in a cool location with plenty of direct sunlight, with periods of shade.




This post is also in remembrance of my Grandmother, Reva. I love you very much - you will always hold a special place in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment